Teaching your teenager to mow the lawn this summer? Make sure they know lawn mower safety. Each year more than 75,000 people are injured by their lawn mowers.
Stay safe this summer season while mowing your lawn! Lawnmowers can be the cause of serious hand injuries that may lead to loss of fingers or even a hand amputation.
- Never use your hands to remove grass or debris from the lawnmower.
- Never lift a mower from the bottom, or the blades will cut your fingers, even when not running.
- Never cut grass when the ground is damp.
- Read your mower’s instruction manual prior to use.
- Do not remove any safety devices or guards on switches.
- Only allow one person at a time on a riding mower.
- Keep up with the maintenance of your mower, and keep blades sharp.
- Do not drink alcohol before operating a lawnmower.
- Wear protective goggles and gloves, and always wear shoes while mowing the lawn.
- Do not allow children on or near a lawnmower, especially when it is running.
Lawnmower tips full infographic
BoulderCentre for Orthopedics can help. Call us (303) 449-2730 and ask to see one of our foot and ankle specialists or one of our hand surgeons.
Article courtesy of The Hand Care Society.