Our shoulders are incredibly mobile, but that can also make them prone to injury. If you are experiencing shoulder pain, we have many treatments and services to help.
Shoulder pain can be caused by a wide variety of issues. This is because the shoulder is comprised of several key structures, including tendons, cartilage and bone. The shoulder itself is a ball-and-socket joint, which allows a wide range of movement.
Shoulder pain can range from pain simply with moving the shoulder to the inability to lift the arm overhead or feeling weak.
Here are five potential causes of such shoulder pain:
- Shoulder Arthritis: This can be caused by everyday wear and tear.
- Frozen Shoulder: If you have frozen shoulder, the inner lining of your shoulder has become inflamed and tight, preventing you from having full motion and also causing pain.
- Shoulder Dislocation: A dislocation is when the ball slides out of the socket. This is most commonly caused by an athletic injury or fall.
- Shoulder Fractures: A shoulder fracture is another word for a broken shoulder. It can be a break of the ball, socket or scapula.
- Rotator Cuff Injuries: The rotator cuff is where the four tendons that encompass the ball of the shoulder meet. Injuries to the rotator cuff can cause shoulder pain.
Treatment for shoulder pain depends on your situation. It could include medication, rehabilitation or surgery. Find a hand surgeon near you to discuss your pain with a doctor. Hand surgeons can treat all types of injuries, from the fingertip to the shoulder.
BoulderCentre can help. Dr. Master, Dr. Paul, Dr. Seng, Dr. Weider, Dr. Rector, and Dr. Fulkerson can help with your shoulder pain – contact BoulderCentre for Orthopedics to see one of our shoulder and upper extremity specialists.
Article courtesy of The Hand Society