Dr Robert Leland, M.D. is a board certified fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon specializing in operative and non-operative treatment of disorders of the foot and ankle and orthopedic trauma. He is Boulder’s first fellowship trained orthopedic foot and ankle specialist and one of the most experienced foot and ankle surgeons in the Rocky Mountain Region. He is referred complex cases from all parts of Colorado as well as out of state.
Dr. Leland treats all facets of lower leg and foot and ankle disorders including traumatic injuries, post-traumatic deformity, arthritis, sports injuries, tendon disorders, bunions and congenital deformities as well as upper and lower extremity trauma. He relies on his experience to utilize cost effective, proven treatments but stays current with the latest minimally invasive techniques.
He is one of the first orthopedic surgeons in the country to perform ankle replacement surgery and has over 19 years’ experience performing ankle replacement. While he is often referred complex cases which have failed multiple previous surgeries he enjoys taking care of routine problems as well.
Dr. Leland has treated professional football, hockey, baseball, soccer, track and lacrosse players as well as numerous collegiate athletes. He “specializes” in complex lower extremity, ankle and foot injuries from rock climbing injuries.
In 2001, Dr. Leland moved to Boulder and joined Mapleton Hill Orthopaedics which recently merged with Boulder Orthopedics and became BoulderCentre for Orthopedics. He is Boulder’s first fellowship trained orthopaedic foot and ankle specialist.
- Sport injuries of the foot and ankle
- Foot and Ankle – comprehensive surgical and non-surgical management
- Complex foot and ankle injuries
- Orthopedic foot and ankle specialist
- Total ankle arthroplasty (ankle replacement)
- Cadaveric transplant of deficient cartilage in the ankle
- Acute orthopedic trauma
- Post traumatic deformities such as fracture malunions and nonunions
- Fracture Care
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections
- He is the “go-to” Orthopedic Surgeon for many of the area’s recreational and elite level hockey players and figure skaters.
- He has treated professional and collegiate baseball, hockey, triathlon, cycling and track athletes as well as numerous recreational athletes
Honors and Distinctions
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- AO Alumni Association
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Scientific Trust
- Editorial Board Foot Education
- Serves on the faculty of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at The University of Colorado as a Clinical Assistant Professor
- Served as Assistant Professor and Chief of Foot and Ankle Surgery in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Wayne State University
Dr. Leland excels in non-operative and surgical treatment of both routine and complex disorders of the foot and ankle including congenital, arthritic, traumatic and sports related conditions.
Dr. Leland believes in fully educating his patients about the underlying causes of their disorders and thoroughly presenting the non-surgical and surgical options so his patients can be actively involved in the treatment decision process. He strives to try all reasonable non-surgical options prior to recommending surgery. He incorporates sound surgical techniques which have stood the test of time as well as cutting edge, state of the art options when deemed appropriate.
Outside of work he is most interested in spending time with his wife and three children and supporting their athletic, theatrical and educational endeavors. He also enjoys playing hockey, skiing, fitness and reading.
- Medical doctorate: Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- Residency: Orthopaedic Residency, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- Fellowship: Foot and Ankle Fellowship, Baylor School of Medicine, Houston, TX
- AO Fellowship in Orthopaedic Traumatology at Universitat Carl Gustav Carus in Dresden, Germany
- Undergraduate education: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI